The District of Columbia is the capital of the United States and sits on the east coast between the states of Virginia and Maryland. It is known for the wealth of its national history.
Residents of Washington D.C. enjoy access to drug rehab centers both in the district and in the surrounding metro areas of Arlington and Alexandria, VA.
List Of Top Washington D.C. Rehab And Detox Centers
Below is our list of drug and alcohol detox centers. Each treatment center has been vetted for quality by considering its accreditations, certifications, or other such marks.
1. Behavioral Health Group (BHG) Washington DC Treatment Center, Washington D.C.
BHG operates outpatient treatment programs for people who are facing drug and alcohol abuse.
These programs rely on two aspects of outpatient care: medication-assisted treatment (MAT) and addiction counseling.
Treatment services at BHG include:
- dual-diagnosis treatment of co-occurring disorders
- withdrawal management
- MAT using buprenorphine and methadone
- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- therapy in family, group and individual settings
- accepts Medicare and Medicaid
BHG is backed by the following organizations:
- the Joint Commission
- the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Location and contact information:
1320 Good Hope Rd. SE.
Washington, DC 20020
2. Clean & Sober Streets, Washington, D.C.
Clean & Sober Streets offers inpatient and outpatient treatment for alcohol and drug addiction to people who have a substance use disorder and are homeless in the Washington D.C. metro area.
This recovery center’s residential program offers four phases of treatment that take a client from detoxification through to reintegration back into the community.
Other services include:
- 12-step facilitation
- rebuilding physical and nutritional health
- job training
- GED training
- art therapy
- help to gain employment
Clean & Sober Streets is a non-profit organization that is staffed by people who have experienced homelessness and drug addiction themselves.
Location and contact information:
2 N., 425 2nd St. NW.
Washington, DC 20001
Drug And Alcohol Abuse Statistics In Washington D.C.
Alcohol and opioid abuse rates are high in the District of Columbia.
According to the National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics (NCDAS), almost one-quarter of the adult population binge drinks at least once a month.
Between 2015 and 2019, deaths from drinking too much alcohol rose by about 83%.
Statistics of opioid abuse in the nation’s capitol are similarly grim.
DC Health reports that about 13% of the adult population in the District of Columbia have a substance use disorder. Deaths from opioid overdose doubled between 2018 and 2020.
What To Look For In A Drug And Alcohol Rehab Center
When looking for drug and alcohol treatment in the Washington D.C. metro area, you will want to know what marks identify a rehab facility that offers quality recovery programs.
A quality drug and alcohol rehab will have one or more of the following marks:
- accreditation through a trusted national accrediting body such as the Joint Commission or CARF
- certification through an organization such as LegitScript that shows their services can be trusted
- licensure through the appropriate department and level of government
- client testimonials on the website or high ratings on Google
- partnerships within the community that the treatment center serves
Drug And Alcohol Treatment After Detox
Detoxification and clinical stabilization are only the beginning of addiction treatment. Once you have completed this step, you will need either residential or outpatient long-term treatment.
Treatment programs after detox can have the following features:
- MAT using buprenorphine or methadone
- peer support groups
- behavioral therapy using a variety of modalities
- 12-step immersion
- recovery coaching
- gender-specific treatment programs or groups
- drug-specific treatment programs or groups
FAQs On Addiction Treatment Centers In Washington D.C.
There is still more to know about rehab centers in the District of Columbia. Please review the frequently asked questions below.
Do Treatment Centers In Washington D.C. Offer Medication-Assisted Treatment?
Yes, many do. MAT is an accepted treatment that has proven to be very effective when combined with behavioral therapy.
MAT can be used to manage withdrawal but can also be used to reduce drug cravings in what is often called a maintenance program.
Is There A Free Rehab Program In Washington D.C.?
Do Rehab Centers In Washington D.C. Accept Medicaid?
Yes, there are treatment centers in Washington D.C. that accept Medicaid, including one that is listed above.
Find Addiction Treatment In Washington D.C. Today
If you are battling an alcohol use disorder, you can find detoxification and addiction treatment at a rehab facility in Washington D.C.Article resources
- DC Health
- National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics