DetoxRehabs.net is holding a $1,000 college scholarship essay contest.
This scholarship helps us achieve two goals: helping college students reach their educational goals and giving back to our recovery community.
Scholarship Award Details
The DetoxRehabs.net scholarship will award two placements with separate scholarship funds:
- 1st Place: $1,000
- Runner-up: $500
Scholarship Eligibility Submission Requirements
To participate in the scholarship contest, you must meet certain eligibility criteria, including:
- Be a student pursuing a college or university degree (Associate’s, Bachelor, Master, Doctorate) or a trade certification in a technical college
- Be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution
- Be 18 years or older at the time of entry
Essay Contest Background
The link between substance abuse and mental health is well-established. In fact, substance abuse can have profound effects on mental health and vice versa.
This connection was especially impacted by COVID-19 for a number of different reasons.
A survey conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) in 2021 showed that:
- 19% of adults believe their overall mental health has worsened since last year
- 13% of adults stated they had increased substance use in the last year as a way to cope with mental health-related issues
For these reasons and many more, it’s important to bring awareness to the connection between substance use and mental health, the impact COVID-19 has had on this relationship among college students, hardships they may face as a result, and ways to help them overcome these hardships.
Essay Submission Topic
The Link Between Mental Health And Substance Use In College Students Amid COVID-19
Research mental health facts and substance use rates in college students.
Calling on your own personal experience as well as research, discuss:
- the link between mental health and substance abuse in college students
- how this link has been impacted by COVID-19
- what we can do to help college students manage stress levels, mental health, and substance use both at home and on campus
Suggest actual ways to implement help and resources for college students to aid them in managing both mental health and substance abuse in the face of COVID-19 (i.e. with its barriers, hardships, challenges, etc.).
Be as specific as possible with your ideas for change. Ensure you are both creative and detail-oriented.
Essay Submission Guidelines
When submitting your essay, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Essay is your own original work
- Essay is no longer than 1,200 words
We will consider submissions and choose a winning essay and runner-up based on the following:
- content quality
- degree of originality
- relevancy to the topic
Essay Submission Deadline:
Friday, December 17, 2021
Scholarship Award Announcement:
Monday, December 27, 2021
Award Funding Details
Scholarships will be awarded for the January 2022 semester.
Scholarships will be awarded directly to the university through the financial aid department (or according to university scholarship guidelines) to be distributed to the winning student.
How To Enter The DetoxRehabs.net Scholarship Essay Contest
To submit an essay for review in our scholarship contest, follow these steps:
- Ensure you meet all eligibility requirements
- Craft an original essay
- Submit your essay via email to email@example.com with “Scholarship Essay Submission” as the subject
- Include within your email your name, age, university/college institution, and preferred email
Winners will be notified by email—check back on December 27, 2021.
If you have any questions or want to know more about our scholarship, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Winning essays will be featured on our website at DetoxRehabs.net.