The idea of paying for an expensive substance abuse recovery center often stops people from seeking addiction treatment.
But there are no-cost drug rehab centers in Illinois offering free treatment for people who may be experiencing financial hardship. Read on to learn about free drug rehab facilities in Chicago.
List Of Free Drug And Alcohol Treatment Centers In Chicago, Illinois
The following addiction facilities in Chicago, IL, are accredited by reputable organizations and staffed with licensed treatment providers.
1. Catholic Charities OE Encompassing Center, Chicago, Illinois
Catholic Charities OE Encompassing Center is a non-profit outpatient treatment facility accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA).
Outpatient services include:
- cognitive behavioral therapy
- relapse prevention skills
- case management
- counseling services
- aftercare planning to sober living homes
As a faith-based treatment center, Catholic Charities will not turn clients away because of their inability to pay.
Location and contact information:
3019 W. Harrison St.
Chicago, IL 60612
2. Healthcare Alternative Systems Inc. Residential, Chicago, Illinois
Healthcare Alternative Systems Inc. offers several levels of care, including outpatient treatment, residential treatment, and day treatment.
Payment options for services at Healthcare Alternative Systems include:
- federal or state government funding
- private health insurance
- state-financed health insurance plan
- sliding fee scale
The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) has granted this center accreditation.
Medication-assisted treatment, dual diagnosis treatment, and support group facilitation are just a few services offered to clients.
Location and contact information:
1949 N. Humboldt Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60647
3. Treatment Alternatives For Safe Communities (TASC) Inc. Chicago Clinton, Chicago, Illinois
TASC is an outpatient treatment center that accepts Medicaid and grants from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and offers payment assistance.
As a CARF-accredited drug rehab facility, clients receive high-quality:
- standard outpatient treatment
- intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- discharge planning
- mental health services, such as motivational interviewing
- 12-step program facilitation
Location and contact information:
700 S. Clinton St.
Chicago, IL 60607
How To Access Free Alcohol Addiction Services In Chicago, Illinois
Chicago residents can utilize public medical programs or grant money to access free substance abuse healthcare.
The Illinois Department of Human Services offers people funding for addiction treatment through the national Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant (SABG) program.
It is projected the state of Illinois will receive an estimated $68,217,527 to allocate for:
- community intervention
- HIV testing and counseling
- early intervention
- outpatient services
- residential rehabilitation
- recovery homes
- methadone treatment
These funds can help people who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford addiction treatment access the healthcare services they need.
HFS Medical Programs
The Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) provides access to substance abuse services for many families in Cook County, including Chicago.
People enrolled in HFS medical programs may get several services covered, such as:
- doctor visits and dental care
- well-child care
- immunizations for children
- mental health and substance abuse services
- hospital care
- emergency services
- prescription drugs
- medical equipment and supplies
Many Chicago residents may be eligible for HFS programs, including:
- adults aged 19 to 64 who are ineligible for Medicaid
- people who are blind or disabled
- children whose care is subsidized by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS)
- former foster care children
- immigrant seniors
What If I Can’t Access Free Alcohol And Drug Addiction Services In Chicago, Illinois?
Chicago is a densely populated city with many residents seeking drug treatment services. Free recovery centers in the city may be at full capacity or short-staffed.
Other Illinois cities can provide free help for Chicagoans seeking addiction treatment. Drug rehab centers in Naperville, IL, Cicero, and Aurora offer detox and inpatient treatment.
Treatment Services Offered By Free Addiction Recovery Centers In Chicago, Illinois
Free rehabilitation centers in Chicago, IL, aim to help a client’s overall wellness, which includes their emotional, physical, and mental health.
Some of the many services offered to clients in free drug rehab centers are:
- anger management classes
- individual and group therapy
- family and couples counseling
- trauma-informed care
- toll-free helplines
- referrals to partial hospitalization, detox centers, and inpatient drug rehab programs
- medication management
- buprenorphine treatment
- medical advice and screening for sexually transmitted diseases
- substance abuse education
- employment training
- life skills training
- matrix model
- programs for adolescents
- self-help groups
- peer support
- individualized treatment plans
FAQs About Free Alcohol And Drug Treatment Centers In Chicago, Illinois
The addiction treatment search can leave you or a loved one with many questions. Read on to learn the answers to some frequently asked questions.
Are Free Substance Abuse Treatment Centers In Chicago, Illinois, LGBTQ-Friendly?
Free addiction treatment facilities in Chicago provide treatment for anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender.
LGBTQ-friendly treatment centers in Chicago offer trauma-informed care, culturally competent care, and access to 12-step groups specifically for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer people.
Can I Smoke Or Vape In A Free Chicago, Illinois, Drug Treatment Facility?
Tobacco products, vaping, and e-cigarettes can help people manage drug cravings, especially the withdrawal process. However, they also carry possible health consequences.
In recent years, more drug rehab facilities have started to ban smoking. Two of the three free rehabilitation centers on our list here allow smoking in permitted areas.
How Do Free Drug Rehab Facilities In Chicago, Illinois, Treat Opioid Abuse?
Like many major American cities, Chicago has been affected by the current epidemic of fentanyl overdoses, heroin abuse, and prescription drug misuse.
Free recovery centers in Chicago offer methadone treatment, cognitive behavioral therapy, and aftercare services to help people make a full recovery from opioid and opiate abuse.
Find Alcohol And Drug Abuse Treatment
There are many treatment options available for you or your loved one to start the recovery journey. Reach out to DetoxRehabs.net to start recovering from chemical dependency today.Article Sources
- Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services — Medical Programs
- Illinois Department of Human Services — Substance Use Disorder
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Find Treatment Locators And Helplines