Florida is home to one rehab center that allows clients to bring their pets with them to inpatient treatment. Both evidence-based and holistic treatment options may be offered at this facility.
Pet-friendly drug rehab centers in Florida and elsewhere provide an array of beneficial services to clients, but there are also some drawbacks to bringing a pet to an addiction treatment facility.
Pet-Friendly Drug Rehab Center In Florida
The drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation center listed below was selected based on its accreditation status, licensure, memberships, Google reviews, and other accolades.
While the options for pet-friendly drug abuse treatment in Florida are currently limited, there are an increasing number of rehab centers in the U.S. adopting more accommodating pet policies.
Recovery Unplugged, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Recovery Unplugged is a pet-friendly addiction recovery facility in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Treatment options and levels of care may include:
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring disorders
- case management services
- sober living homes
- medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- medical detox for opioid drug addiction
- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
This rehab facility is backed by Joint Commission accreditation, LegitScript certification, and licensure from the Florida Department of Children and Families.
Location and contact information:
915 Middle River Dr.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Bringing Your Pet To An Addiction Treatment Center
There are a number of benefits and a few drawbacks to bringing your pet with you to a drug and alcohol rehab center.
Advantages may include:
- You don’t have to worry about finding a place to board your pet while you’re gone.
- Pets may invoke a sense of well-being and alleviate feelings of loneliness.
- Furry friends can provide emotional support while being away from friends and family members.
- Pets provide unconditional love and acceptance.
- Pet-friendly treatment plans will likely accommodate clients with a private room.
- Dogs will incentivize clients to get exercise, which has numerous health benefits.
- Socializing with and petting a dog or cat can reduce stress and even physical pain levels.
While there are many healthcare benefits to having your dog or cat with you during an addiction recovery program, there are also some disadvantages worth considering.
Consider the following before bringing your pet with you to drug treatment:
- Pet-friendly drug rehab centers are usually more expensive.
- If you have allergies, they may be exacerbated by other pets at the facility.
- It may be stressful to take care of your pet during treatment, particularly if the animal has any behavioral issues.
- Multiple animals in a rehab facility may occasionally disrupt the treatment process.
Pet Therapy And Animal-Assisted Therapy At Addiction Recovery Centers In Florida
Pet therapy, also known as animal-assisted therapy (AAT), is a type of therapy that uses trained animals to help relieve uncomfortable symptoms associated with substance use and mental health disorders.
Types of AAT may include:
- equine therapy
- canine therapy
- dolphin therapy
There are an array of animals that may be used for pet therapy depending on the individual needs of the client.
Studies cited by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) have shown that AAT can provide people with an increased sense of comfort and safety, increased motivation, and enhanced self-esteem.
Not every rehab facility that offers AAT will also allow people to bring their own pets with them. Contact the treatment center’s helpline to learn more about their pet policy.
FAQs About Pet-Friendly Drug And Alcohol Treatment Facilities In Florida
The commonly asked questions listed below may help you find a pet-friendly rehab center in Florida that works for you or your loved one.
Can I Use Medicaid Health Insurance At A Pet-Friendly Rehab Center In Florida?
Currently, there are no pet-friendly rehabilitation centers in Florida that accept Medicare or Florida Medicaid for substance abuse treatment.
You may be able to use private health insurance plans at a pet-friendly rehab center. Contact the treatment facility to learn more about what types of insurance plans they accept.
Are There Any Free Dog-Friendly Rehab Facilities In Florida?
No, there are no free rehab centers in Florida that allow you to bring your dog.
An addiction recovery center may offer payment assistance plans or sliding fee scales to help people who couldn’t otherwise afford treatment.
Do Florida Pet-Friendly Drug And Alcohol Rehab Centers Offer Specialized Services For LGBTQ People?
There are LGBTQ-friendly rehab centers throughout the state of Florida, and the pet-friendly rehab center available in Florida does address the needs of gay, lesbian, transgender, and queer people.
Culturally competent care takes into consideration the discrimination, stigma, and other challenges faced by people in the LGBTQ community.
Find A Substance Use Disorder Treatment Center Today
Contact DetoxRehabs.net today for more useful information about addiction treatment programs for yourself or a loved one.Article Sources
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)